Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I've been interviewed!

Below is my interview by my little (now 6'4" /junior in HS) boy for a school project... Its a rough draft, (and his re-telling of my version) but I thought it would be fun to post. I enjoyed the telling of it anyways...AND WHY HE DIDN'T CALL ME "MOM" IS BEYOND ME! (italics in his story are mine)


It was March 17th, 1992. Kathy S was innocently watching T.V. in the comfort of her home when it happened. What happened you ask? Kathy S went into labor. Going into the hospital that day began nearly 24 hours of worthwhile suffering for Kathy.

To completely understand this historic day in history we must look back to the beginning of Kathy’s labor. Kathy entered the Osceola Hospital at ten pm on St. Patrick’s day. The doctors suspected that I was too little to be born, so an ultrasound was called for. You must understand that at the time Osceola’s ultrasound was, “like a T.V. from the 1950’s,” as explained by Kathy. After what seemed to be forever to Kathy, the ultrasound arrived. The doctors then began scanning her belly with cold jelly for twenty minutes. The doctors concluded that I was too little to be born. With that conclusion the small town doctors put Kathy on labor-stopping medication. They then shipped Kathy via ambulance to united hospital in St. Paul. Once arriving in St. Paul a more recent ultrasound was called for by the city doctors. After a short amount of time the doctors determined that I wasn’t too little to be born. The city doctors took Kathy off the meds that she was given by the country doctors. She then went into intense labor for the next fourteen hours. Other details of my birth tend to be very graphic (for a 17 yr old boy!). I was born at 7:53 on March 18th, at five pounds thirteen ounces and 19.5 inches long. I was born safely, although I was described to shoot out like a rocket, and am still alive today. Thanks to a doctor that played wide receiver in his high school days. (Ethan made that wide reciever part up) I was then healthy for the next six weeks although I was only eight pounds.

This all changed sometime at the end of those six weeks when I began projectile vomiting which was described to me as smelling similar to rotten eggs. It started on a Tuesday and by the time Friday rolled around Kathy was scared. Kathy then took me to the doctor who pushed on my stomach to feel for something that he thought I may have had. He didn’t find what he was looking for though so he sent us home. The next morning Kathy was really scared that I would be dehydrated. I was then taken back in to the hospital and was X-rayed by a man that she remembers being hung-over. (not a good experience for her). After siphoning the white stuff out of my stomach, they read the X-ray, and determined I had Pyloric Stenosis.

I wasn’t ambulanced this time; we were able to drive to Children’s Hospital in St. Paul. Once arriving at Children’s I was fitted with an IV due to my dehydration. It took seven tries for the needle to get into a vein, which ended up on the top of my head covered by a Dixie cup to keep it from being bumped. I then had a surgery scheduled at ten am Sunday morning the 3rd of May so that they could operate on my sphincter muscle that connects my stomach to my small intestine. The surgery went well and I’ve been growing big-time ever since. He obviously made up for the lost growth time from his first 6 weeks!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

This was just the sweetest. My oldest boy turned 15 yesterday!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Julie Gillies said...

Hi there, Kathy,
So nice to meet you. Thanks for visiting my blog.

How cool that your son knows enough about you to write such a good story. Well done!

And I just have to let you know that "Kiss Me" (from your other blog) is one of my absolute FAVORITE songs. It's the happiest, sunniest song...makes me wanna twirl. :)

Joyful said...

What is it about birth stories? We women all seem to enjoy each other's labor and delivery tales.

My son was born in 1992 too and is pushing the 6' mark. Glad your son is doing well today.

Blessings,
Joy

Lisa Smith said...

This was so sweet. I love how God's hand was all over your boy's life...I pray it still is!

Edie said...

Ethan's side of the story made me laugh LOUDLY a couple of times, but I'm sure his memory is accurate. LOL.

Wow, you must have been very scared. First at the incompetence you kept running up against, then at the risk. But God...

I'm so glad He intervened. :)

Tea with Tiffany said...

Oh how sweet to know he wanted to write his birth story! Sounds like an adventurous start.

Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Tiffany

My Colonial Home said...

How wonderful....I love it.
Karen

ShareThis