Thursday, March 21, 2013

Fight. Fight. Fight. Crush. Crush. Crush...Come to the Cross...Let's Do Our Part to End the War

I skip around the internet...from one post to another commenter's blog, to another post and so-on... and I see things that just get me flustered and cause my heart to twist in a knot. You do too I imagine. Whatever social media you might wander through from YouTube to NY Times, you will encounter a host of angry comments and what I call a volatile undercurrent of war. Fighting. Fighting. Fighting. Pride. Pride, Pride. Ugly. Ugly, Ugly.

...I've been caught up once or twice in opinion-slinging myself.     You?

There is a place in our soul...a hole that needs, desires, longs to be fulfilled. We want someone to say to us, "you are special. valuable. known. loved. heard." and when people in our lives inevitably disappoint us, don't meet our needs inevitably, cross us inevitably, hurt us inevitably (did I already say that word inevitably?-because we are human after all)

Then we respond with feelings of inferiority causing us to withdraw (flight) or superiority causing angry tongue-lashings (fight). 

Inferiority. Superiority. Neither of those responses lends to living free and certainly does not lead to love. They are both bondage. Living with either attitude is like being held in a prison of people's opinions.

We let them crush or we set out to crush.                ...Crush. Crush. Crush...     
The absolute most grievous displays of crushing-fighting-pride are the ones who do so in the name of Jesus. Yes, Jesus. The one who said, "If anyone claims to love me but hates his brother (or sister) is lying, and my love isn't in them."
{1 John 4:19-21}

Once in awhile I find a back-story by an angry blogger (those prone to 'flight' probably don't write blogs, but probably read them). And I see they have been hurt. I feel sorrow for the pain~so much pain inflicted, real and raw~ but I also feel sorrow for their response to it because by holding on to the pain, they continue to give it power over their lives. They carry their burden when they could lay it down!!! Jesus would so willingly take it from them if they'd give it, and they could walk free. He died to set us free.

Carrying an offense is an offense to the One who died to deliver.

You see, when we have been hurt, He gets it. Look at Him. Innocent, hanging on the cross! If anyone was {wrongly} accused and rejected it was Him. Perfect love, never sinning against man but always telling the truth.

But his very love, it stirred the fierce anger of the prideful ones that crucified him. That was each one of us, right? We all have crucified the Christ because we all have had anger at someone. {Matthew 5:21-22} How then can we be angry with those who hurt us when we are just as capable of hurting? 

We have done the hurting

I pray for the hurting people who continue to nurse their wounds, (I've done that!) who have removed themselves from church, but who desire reconcilliation. I pray that they would find a safe place…for strength and wholeness… and I pray for those who are hurting and who have embraced resentment. I pray for them to be set free. It is the enemy who is the enemy, not the church made up of people. Our battle is not against flesh and blood but the principalities of darkness. {Ephesians 6:12} and I pray for us, the wound-makers, that we take responsibility when we have slung one and apologize. Be humble. Seek peace and pursue it. Let's end the war. Yes?

I pray for wounded ones (I've been them) to discern truth about their situation. To get counseling if needed. To see that they have fellowship with Christ Jesus in His sufferings and they will be enabled to say, “Forgive them Father for they know not what they do.”

I pray that those who hurt, {pray this with me} that they will love the Scriptures which shine light on the lies. That is my prayer for all who feel hurt and cannot let go. To know the truth... and the truth, it sets us free.

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1


“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell. Matthew 5:21-22



No comments:

ShareThis