Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Force of Fear?

Today my son-in-law left for the Air Force bootcamp. He is going in the reserves. I have been dealing with a certain amount of concern fear for his six week experience there.

He's so...young. He's...small. How will they treat him? How will he respond? Will they crush his spirit? Will he respond with faith? Will he remember that the Lord God Almighty lives inside of him and is right there with him?

For a woman of faith, the concerns fears lead me to cast my cares on the Lord who promises to care for me and my family. (and I must fight to believe it sometimes!) As soon as the questions enter my mind I turn them into a specific prayer: Lord, please make Andrew aware of your Presence. Surround him with the right people. Help him respond with faith to the hard things. Help him grow through discipline. Help him be the man that you desire him to be...In Jesus' name! ~how grateful I am to be able to message the King of the Universe on behalf of Andrew!

Amazing to me is how "images" from movies or news stories seem to effect my thought process...and it's the worst images that come to mind. It has been a looong time since I have seen "An Officer and A Gentleman". But I remember scenes...and they impact my thinking. They bring fears to the surface. Ideas that I received from watching the film. And Top Gun. I imagine if you have seen these, you have images coming to mind immediately. Powerful, isn't it?

I have been mulling this over for a few days due to other stories I have heard recently. People's fears in certain circumstances become exaggerated due to images and movies they have watched. So I wonder...should we be curbing our viewing more than we are? I wonder, are we making our battle more intense?

“Everything is permissible for me”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”—but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Blessings to you and your family..
I love the scripture at the end.. I am reading Lysa Terkeust book Made to crave, and that is her favorite scripture too. she uses it when she wants something that she shouldnt eat,, like a cup cake or brownie..lol..
but it is so true,,we can do anything,but not everything is benificial..
God bless and angels all around your son in law..

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

I am so in agreement about images, TV, etc. adding fuel to our fear-fires.

Your daughter is watching you. So, even if you don't feel it, remain strong. She will know if her mom is fearful and follow in your footsteps. Hang in there friend. God's plans for your son-in-law will happen whether or not you worry.

I am praying for all of you tonight!

...oh, almost forgot why I stopped by. Let me know how your Bible study is. I have always wanted to do a Priscilla Shirer study. Blessings friend!

Angela said...

I definitely think that media has much more of an influence on us than we realize. If we are taking in things that are God-centered, then that will be where our brain naturally goes. I can say that when I watch sappy romance stuff then I get melancholy bc I'm single, but when I watch/read things that glorify the Lord, I am reminded how loved I am and how he Jer.29:11s us every day. While your son-in-law is learning how to protect and serve, you and Kayla can do the same thing in the spiritual realm! Build up your prayer life and serve the King! God is going to see all of you through just like He has done every day up to this one. Love you sista!

ShareThis