1. completely prepared or in fit condition for immediate action or use: troops ready for battle; Dinner is ready.
2. duly equipped, completed, adjusted, or arranged, as for an occasion or purpose: The mechanic called to say that the car is ready.
4. prompt or quick in perceiving, comprehending, speaking, writing, etc.
5. proceeding from or showing such quickness: a ready reply.
6. prompt or quick in action, performance, manifestation, etc.: a keen mind and ready wit.
8. in such a condition as to be imminent; likely at any moment: a tree ready to fall.
9. immediately available for use: a ready source of cash.
11. present or convenient: to lie ready to one's hand.
Luke 12:35-38 (New International Version)
"Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him. It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve, will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them. It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready, even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night.
Several days have brought the same message. Tamela addressed it, Ray Prichard addressed it, Tiffany posted a video of John Piper addressing it, and this verse was in my daily reading recently.
Is Jesus shouting out something to us? Are we and our families ready for His return?
Lord Jesus, please help us keep our lamps burning bright. Help our children have their lamps burning and plenty of oil. Lord, keep us in your light, and bring us safely home.